
u/siwibot

Justice Jackson Seems to Be Warning Us About the Supreme Court’s Next Voting Rights Target
slate.comPennsylvania GOP Governor Nominee Has Long History of 2020 Election Denial | Democracy Docket
democracydocket.comUS Rep. Thomas Massie Loses Kentucky GOP Primary to Ed Gallrein in Another Victory for Trump | AP News
apnews.comTrump Epstein Files Critic Thomas Massie Loses GOP Primary as President’s Revenge Crusade Rolls On
the-independent.comCongresswoman Pramila Jayapal (D-WA) "This is the Height of Corruption" - IRS has Pledged That They will No Longer Pursue Unpaid Tax Claims Against Trump, his Family Members, and his Companies
May 19, 2026 - Fulltext
The Justice Department on Tuesday expanded the just-announced settlement of President Donald Trump’s lawsuit over the leaking of his tax returns to include a pledge that the IRS will no longer pursue any claims it may have against Trump, his family members and his companies over unpaid taxes.
The nine-page settlement agreement DOJ released Monday, setting up a nearly $1.8 billion fund to compensate victims of alleged weaponization of law enforcement, did not mention any resolution of disputes over Trump’s tax returns, which he has repeatedly claimed were under protracted audits by the IRS.
However, a one-page document posted on the DOJ website early Tuesday includes a sweeping release under which the IRS is “forever barred and precluded” from pursuing “examinations” of Trump, “related or affiliated individuals,” and related trusts and businesses.
The waiver specifically encompasses “tax returns filed before the effective date” of the settlement, which was Monday.
Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche signed the addendum, dated Tuesday. It does not bear the signature of any representative of the IRS or any current Trump lawyers. Metadata attached to the document indicates it was prepared or scanned at 7:50 a.m. Tuesday.
Blanche did not sign the original settlement agreement, which was signed by Associate Attorney General Stanley Woodward, IRS CEO Frank Bisignano and Trump attorney Daniel Epstein.
The Justice Department did not immediately respond to requests for comment on why the waiver wasn’t included in the agreement released Monday and why it isn’t signed by the same people.
“As is customary in settlements, both sides have executed waivers of a variety of claims that were or could have been brought,” the Justice Department said in a statement. “There would be little point in settling several significant claims if either party could simply turn around and seek to initiative more adverse claims that could have been pursued previously.”
“This is only with respect to existing audits, not future,” the DOJ statement added.
John Koskinen, the former IRS commissioner from 2013 to 2017, said the expanded settlement set a “terrible precedent” that could effectively generate a windfall for Trump.“It makes you wonder what the President has to hide in those tax returns. He’s apparently been actively trading in the stock market and, since he knows a lot more about situations than the average investor, he’s probably generated significant taxable earnings,” he said in an emailed statement. “Not auditing his returns is the same as giving him an easy way to, in effect, receive money from the government.”
Danny Werfel, the former IRS commissioner from 2023 to 2025, said he was “unaware of a single precedent where the IRS has agreed in advance to permanently forgo examination of previously filed tax returns for a specific person or business.”
Press reports in advance of the settlement indicated that a potential deal might include an agreement by the government to drop all audits of Trump-related returns and perhaps even to refrain from future audits.
Blanche spent more than two hours Tuesday testifying before a Senate Appropriations subcommittee. He faced numerous skeptical questions about the settlement and the related “Anti-Weaponization Fund,” but was not asked about the impact of the deal on Trump’s outstanding tax issues.
Following an announcement Tuesday on an antitrust prosecution, Woodward defended the settlement with Trump and the creation of the fund.
“I already have the authority to settle any claim that is brought against the United States of America,” Woodward told reporters at DOJ headquarters. “I frankly think that we should be ecstatic about the idea that we’re going to inject more accountability into the process, as opposed to having just one person sign off on settlements.”
“I think that it’s way, way, way too early for us to rush to judgment on whether this was a good or a bad idea, to describe it as a slush fund, or really even to criticize it,” Woodward added.
As he left the press conference, Woodward did not respond to a question about the addendum released Tuesday ending all pending tax audits of the president and his companies.
https://bsky.app/profile/jayapal.house.gov/post/3mm7yizmxi22e
https://www.politico.com/news/2026/05/19/trump-irs-settlement-tax-returns-00927911
Court Bashes Internal DOJ Legal Memo That Trump Admin Used to Justify Voter Roll Grab | Democracy Docket
democracydocket.comSenate Advances Bill Aimed at Ending Iran War as Cassidy, After Primary Loss, Flips to Support It | AP News
apnews.comDOJ Leverages Skid Row ‘Cash-for-Ballots’ Scheme to Demand Full Audit of California Voter Rolls – California Globe
californiaglobe.comHakeem Jeffries: At Least 7 Blue States Could Redistrict by 2028 | Democracy Docket
democracydocket.comSenator Requests Classified Briefing on CISA Credentials Leak | Axios
axios.comAt Senate Hearing, GOP Plots to Minimize Power of Black Voters After Callais | Democracy Docket
democracydocket.comThe Supreme Court Just Handed Down Two Surprisingly Timid Voting Rights Act Decisions
vox.comTrump Endorses Texas AG Ken Paxton for Senate, Citing Support for SAVE Act | Democracy Docket
democracydocket.comGovernor Lamont Signs Legislation Making Absentee Ballots an Option for All Voters in Connecticut Elections
"(HARTFORD, CT) – Governor Ned Lamont today announced that he has signed into law legislation providing all eligible voters in Connecticut with the option of casting their ballots in elections and primaries using absentee ballots. No-excuse absentee ballots make voting more accessible for those facing impediments to in-person voting due to disability and mobility limitations, lack of transportation, childcare or caretaking duties, or work schedules.
The legislation, Public Act 26-42, removes restrictions in previously enacted state statutes that only provided this option to voters who were unable to appear in-person at their polling place on election day for several specific reasons, which they were required to confirm when applying for an absentee ballot, including due to active service in the U.S. Armed Forces, absence from their town, sickness, physical disability, religious conflicts, or their service as an elections worker.
Modifying the law is the result of the approval by Connecticut voters of a constitutional amendment that appeared as a ballot question in the November 5, 2024, election.
The change became effective immediately upon receiving Governor Lamont’s signature."